Thursday, September 1, 2011

Competing is NOT a team sport!

I feel it is very important for a competitor to know that preparing for a competition can be a very lonely road.

Most people will not understand what hard work, dedication and most of all sacrifice you have to go through. You will feel isolated and alone. Even if you are working with a trainer, in group training or with a partner that is only an hour or two a day. The real work happens when you are at home, work and just going about your daily life. I have always had such great respect for mothers, I complain but I know they have it the toughest.

You are filled with doubt... Are you going to be ready in time. You are filled with resent for your friends and spouse.... You feel like everyone is having fun except you. People around you will say you can have one bite and one cheat meal wont hurt you. It WILL... No one will understand why you would put yourself through this. You are moody, emotional and seem to be hungry and tired all the time. It just gets harder, you cut calories but the workouts get harder. You are constantly peeing. Waking up hungry and thinking about food.

It is very important to know all of this before deciding to compete. You have to train your mind to think about everything differently. You will need to be your number 1 fan and motivation.

Never lose hope. I have found that taking weekly pictures will help you see your progress. Keep practicing your routine over and over again. The shoes aren't the easiest to walk in, wear them as much as possible, get them to take the shape of your feet so they fit like a glove.  The fun begins when you pick out your suit and get your spray tan. All the pieces come together. The night before the show you are nervous, anxious and might not even sleep. When you go to check in you will be sizing yourself up against other girls. DONT!!! Back stage there is so much going on. Everyone seems to be running around like headless chickens, fighting over weights to pump up with. Just remember everyone has depleted and just a nervous as you. Be patient. A good idea would is to listen to your ipod with a playlist of your favorite up beat songs, this will also help you not listen to anyone else or negativity.

Now the moment of truth. You are in line waiting to hit the stage. Just breath and DONT rush. Take your time on stage, this is your moment, time to show off all your hard work. Smile and most of all have fun!!!! I get such a rush from being on stage. My first show I paced back stage, put my lip gloss on a million times, but the second I hit that stage I shined. When I walked off stage I couldn't wait for the night show to do it all over again. My competitions are by far the greatest achievements I have.

Good Luck stay focused and no matter what.... DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

I am open to any comments, questions & advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment